Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Thankful

This morning, I was getting ready and was trying to rush it since I had an 8:15 dentist appt. I heard from downstairs a little voice say, "Wait, Cecka! I'm coming for you!!!"

Lydie-lu wanted to do "makeup time" with me. After a quick beauty time, I ushered her downstairs so I could finish getting ready and get to the dentist.

About two hours, two fillings, and a numb mouth later, I got to work. One of our DJs, R, came to me and asked if I'd heard. His cohost and my good friend M heard some awful news about her mother. She'd been found unconscious by her grandson (M's 11 year old nephew). He revived her and medics determined that her heart was stopped for a rather long time.

M is originally from out of state. Her northeast family are rarely people she's able to see. Early in May, she went up for her cousin's wedding......... it was the first time in years that her whole family was together. Then, in mid-June, her parents, neice, and nephew came down for her own wedding. It was a small, but lovely occasion that I was blessed enough to be able to attend.

In late July, M got word that her grandmother passed away. This is the same grandmother that heard her say her vows through a cell phone. She commented that this year has been full of high highs and low lows, for her family.

Now, today she's on her way back North to see her mother who is in intensive care.

I'm devastated for M and just wish I could so something to help.

At the same time, I extremely thankful.

I'm thankful that I live so close to my family. That, even though I sometimes think I need to be on my own, I have a situation where it works for my mom and I to live together. I was able to watch my brother grow up and now he lives 15 minutes away at college. I see him at church every week and at meals throughout.

I've lost a parent before. Sure, he wasn't biologically my father, but he was a dad to me for the majority of my childhood. So, I know how precious it is to be able to spend time with them and how quickly it can be taken away.

Today reminded me that I need to work less and love my family more.

It also let me know that, while I'd be ok if life leads me to another place, I would be more than ok staying here for the rest of my life.

1 comment:

LWLH said...

I'll be praying for your friend and her family. Bless her heart.