Monday, March 5, 2012

The Monday Real

Thanks to both Jess for hosting The Monday Real!



This edition of The Monday Real is a tad bit more light-hearted than last week's.

There are a lot of situations that produce "real."

One of them is exhaustion.

A couple weeks ago was our St. Jude Radiothon. If you have read my blog recaps of other radiothons, you know that they are tiring. My favorite part of my job, but absolutely draining. We spend about a month in full-blown preparation (by we, I mean me and my interns) and then the week-of is even more crazy.

On Thursday the 16th, I was at work at 4:30am and left at 7:30pm.

On Friday the 17th, I was there, again, at 4:30am and didn't leave until 9pm.

Do the math.

This semester, I have three interns. I've never had more than one at a time, but somehow I ended up with three. They were troupers.

C was there with me, both days, for the entire time I was there. The entire time.

A was there the majority of the time... 6a - 3p on Thurs and 5:30a - 9p on Fri.

N was there 2p - 7:30p on Thurs and 5:30a - 8p on Fri.

Needless to say, we were all tired.

Now, my interns are all really respectful despite the fact that I am more of an older sister type. As a supervisor, I try to be friendly and real, without crossing the line. The fact is, I'm really not that much older than them. It's not like a lot of their peers who are working for people in their late 30s and into their 40s. I'm only a handful of years older than them. We all have quite a bit in common and can relate to each other. All of my previous interns have ended up friending me on FB after their internships are over, lol.

All that to say.... On both ends, we try to keep a professional line.

That tends to fly out the window during radiothon.

My poor kids got so slap-happy for about 2 hours on Friday afternoon. It was sort of the calm before the final storm and we were all taking a slight break. They were singing songs, making up songs, and imitating various people at school and in our building.

Both I and our St. Jude reps were being unprofessional in that we were about to pee our pants laughing (what can I say.... we were tired, too).

"Where's your 20?".... They made a song to the tune of "I'm Sexy and I Know It" about St. Jude and donating $20, lol.








A while later, we were taking turns eating dinner while working on paperwork. Out of nowhere, the following conversation happened.....

A - "I feel like we were highly unprofessional a little bit ago."

C - "Me, too."

A - "I feel really bad about it."

C - "It was out of control and it lasted like 2 hours."

A - "I don't even know what got into me. It's like I blacked out or something."

C - "Please forgive us."

A - "Yeah, I'm really sorry."

C - "If you could just try to forget that it happened and that we were totally unprofessional, I would so appreciate it."

Me - "Guy, don't worry about it. It's two very long days. We all go a little loony."

St Jude Rep - "I, for one, found it hysterical."

Me - "I did, too. And, as your supervisor, I know that I haven't always been the most upstanding. Especially over the past two days. I mean, I was dancing to your song. Being here this long, you now know that no one in this building is exactly the epitome of business-like."

N (who hasn't said anything, yet) - "And, yet, you are still one of the most professional in this building. I mean, these people are whacked."

And that, my friends, is real, lol.

1 comment:

Sonya said...

That's funny! I think anyone would be that crazy after all that!