Saturday, October 18, 2008

Making Strides Against Breast Cancer

Today was the MSABC walk. I was there for the station.... bringing the van. J hosts the event.

The day didn't start out so well. The night before I'd gone to the Magnolia Building. There's a big car show this weekend and they were having a reception and walkabout while all the cars arrived. It was fun, but I probably stayed longer than I should have, lol. It has been a busy week.

I went home and went to bed about 11:30. I set my alarm for 5:30, since I was supposed to be at the lake at 7am. Right before I drifted off to sleep, I thought that I should call the station and ask the overnight guy to call me and make sure I was awake. I brushed it off, though, thinking, I wake up all the time at 5:30 in the morning.

Well, folks, I should have listened.... because at 6:40 J texted me about what she was wearing. Thank the good Lord! I jumped out of bed, threw on my clothes, ran into the bathroom to brush my teeth and wash my face, and then ran out to the car.

I sped to the station, brushing my hair (that wanted to be washed) on the way. Ran inside, grabbed the stuff I needed, and then sped to the lake.

Again, I was supposed to be there at 7am. Wanna know what time I got there? 7:10. That's right, I managed to only be 10 minutes late after waking up an hour and ten minutes late.

The actual opening ceremony started at about 8:30. We basically walked around until then. I have to tell you, women are so creative. Their shirts were so fun and cute. Most of the teams had team shirts made and had little group names. I wish I had pictures, but I rushed out of the house so fast, I forgot to grab my camera.

An emotional part of the program was the recognition of Breast Cancer Champions. Every woman who was surviving the disease was given a carnation and led the rest of us to the lake. It was very touching.

One neat part of our team this year was how small it was. We only had 2 other walkers besides J and me. What's so cool about that? Well, the walkers from previous teams got their friends together and started their own teams. That's even more awareness! We talked about how to expand our team efforts next year.

Hopefully, one day, we'll be able to cancel the event entirely. Hopefully, a cure will be found and everyone can go home! Until then, we walk! I *really* wish I had a picture of all the pink parading around the lake.

Robyn and her daughter, Heather, walked with us. They were very nice listeners who just talked and talked the whole way around the lake. I feel like I've known them forever, lol.

Once we got back, I went over to say 'Hi' to the walkers from CPE. Even though I'm only a sub, that school treats me like one of them. I was there for 2 1/2 months, everyday, last Fall and it's become my home school for subbing. I just adore those ladies. If I were ever to decide to be a teacher, that's the school I'd want to go to.

J closed up the event. We got a picture on her camera, so hopefully, I can get a copy of that to post.

After the walk, I headed back to the station to meet up with E. We were supposed to man the table at the car show from 12-2pm. We grabbed some lunch and then walked over from the station. This car show is BIG... it occupies all of downtown.

We relieved D and C. Tunie and Mike came to hang out with us, while they were waiting for their friend Jane. Also, J and her family stopped by. By that time, T and his wife arrived to relieve us.

It's so funny at events like that, where many members of the station are just at one place. It's an interesting mix of people, let me tell you.

Once done, we walked back to the station. I went home, went to sleep, and got ready for a marathon Sunday!

No comments: