Thursday, June 11, 2009

Show me the money!

I was a substitute teacher for 4 years. The school board for which I worked had a Social Security Alternative Plan for its part-time employees. Basically, the money that would normally be taken out for SS was put into an account.

When I first became a sub, they said that after 90 days of not subbing, you're taken out of the system. Meaning.... you are no longer employed by the School Board. They said that once that happens your money would then be mailed to you.

You can imagine how much moolah I've accumulated in 4 years. It's a nice chunk of change. About twice a year, they've sent me a statement with the amount. About twice a year, I've become excited over the growing stash.

Well, the last day I subbed was January 13th. Clearly, I'm no longer employed by the school system. I've been wondering when I'd get my nice little check in the mail. Today, I called about it and they told me they have to send me a form to fill out. Once I fill out the form, it will take 60-90 days for them to release the funds.

Oh, come on!

2 comments:

Busy Momma said...

Ain't that convenient! All the while they are collecting interest on it! I had a PERA account when I worked for the school system in Colorado...it was nice to get that check in the mail when I had forgotten about it!

Posh Peach said...

Oh goodness, I hope you get it quicker!