Monday, April 25, 2011

I'll take "Thirty Below" thanks.........

I've mentioned in the past how I love my Sunday School class. I really, really do. We started meeting a little over a year ago and I just adore it.

We're titled "Thirty Below" and are technically a college and career class. However, the majority of the people in there are career..... mid-to-late twenties. To be perfectly honest, that's how I prefer it. I've been to "college and career" when it was mainly college............ it's kind of like Youth Group 202. There's a BIG difference between an 18 year old and a 28 year old.

Some of the class members are married, but most of us are single. So far, no romances have bloomed out of the class and we're all pretty ok with that.

Which is why we became slightly offended when the church tried to label us a "young singles' class" and started sending people to us using that title. Again, there are marrieds in the class, so it didn't fit. Plus, none of us are looking to go to Sunday School just so we can meet people in that way. We all have enough issues to discuss and work through without adding in the "single" pressure. (Admittedly, I'm probably the most concerned with the whole single thing......... anytime I bring it up, everyone else just laughs and tells me not to worry about being single. They are kind of like my blog readers in that way, lol.).

Then, the church started an actual singles' class (they used to have one, but everyone got married off or left). The description for the class specifically says "for people who are in this season of their life in their 30s, 40s, and 50s

So, when I started receiving emails from the group, I became offended. Um, hello, I'm not 30, yet. I still have almost 2 1/2 years. And, even then, they'll probably have to drag me out of my current class, kicking and screaming. Because, I really enjoy it. And, there are people older than me in that class. So, if they can go to it, then so can I. Hmmmph!

One of the girls in the class jokingly suggested that I send a cease and desist letter, claiming that I am exclusively with Thirty Below. Our leader jokingly said he was going to file charges for poaching.

I still receive emails from them. Mainly, I delete without reading, unless the topic seems interesting.

Is it snooping if they are the ones sending ME the emails?

Anyway, so a couple weeks ago (on a Monday) Fun Distraction invited me over to his place. His Singles' Sunday School Class was getting together and he wanted me to come.

"We're all just going to hang out. It will be fun!"

I was a little perplexed as to why he would ask me over to a function that was for a specific group of people, but I went with it.

That Friday, I headed over.

His sister answered the door for me and I walked into a room full of women and two males. Fun Distraction and a man who turned out to be the uncle of the girl whose wedding I'm in.

Now.......... before I say anymore......... I did have a good time. It was a really nice group of people.

That said........

I walked in and immediately felt sized up.

Some in the "oh, who is this nice girl he's bringing around" sisterly way.

Some in the "um.... who is she and why is he bringing her around" not-so-sisterly way.

One, who we shall call Green Shirt Girl made quick work of sitting next to me and asking my life story. Again, very nice and very friendly. However, also very "Who Are You."

It became very clear that GSG has a big thing for FD. Throughout the evening, she did little things to mark her territory, as it were.

As in, after he showed me around his house, I needed to use the restroom. He told me to use whichever one I wanted and to make myself at home. While heading towards the guest room, GSG started to follow me.......

Me - "Oh, do you need to use the restroom? I can use the one in FD's room."

GSG - "OH! No. I was just making sure the door to the bathroom was shut. FD doesn't like the door to be left open. He's afraid the dogs will get in there."

Me - "Um, ok. I'll make sure it's closed when I'm done."

That was just the tip of the iceburg, folks.

Like I said......... good time, nice people.

However, unless he has another "get-together" I probably will never see them, again, lol. Well, except for Kristen's uncle. I'll see him in June.

So, a few days later, I see FD and he's telling me how glad he was that I came, etc, etc, etc. Did I have a good time? We'll have to do it, again. Blah, blah, blah.

That's when I dropped the following.........

Me - "So, you know the girl..... Green Shirt Girl?"

FD - "Yeah?"

Me - "I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but she has a thing for you."

FD - "What? Why? She wasn't mean to you, was she?"

Me - "No she was perfectly nice and friendly......... and very clear in metophorically peeing all over your house."

FD - "We've just been friends a long time."

Me - "Oh, I'm sure you have. She just made it very clear that I was stepping in on her territory."

We went on to discuss this. He said the feelings weren't mutual, etc. I assured him that I did have a good time and everyone was great. However, he said something that brings back to my original point......

"We're just the last two of our old Singles' Class."

Ahhhhh.......... nail. on. the. head.

Whether he's playing dense or just is, that's exactly it.

Everyone else in the "old singles class" is now non-single. Which means homegirl feels it's her turn. And, she's chosen FD, as the last man standing, to make it so.

And, she certainly didn't want some chick she doesn't know messing up her flow.

ALL that to say..................

I really, really love my Sunday School class.

3 comments:

Katie @ Loves of Life said...

Bahahahaha. Totally, totally loved this story. She totally was 'peeing' all over his house. OMG. too funny! too funny.

Sonya said...

Sounds like you did great in that situation. I don't know that I could have even gone there in the first place.

I can understand the sunday school thing. We attend a really small church. They have a young adults group (21-40) where we fit the age, but we are about the only couple in our church in that age group without kids. We are a couple of years from considering that at the moment so it leaves us without a group to identify with. It probably wouldn't be so bad if we had been involved long before it was like this. So I'd stay with the group you're with too!

LWLH said...

Get it girl....don't let no other color shirt girls stand in your way! :)