Thursday, April 14, 2011

A True End of an Era....

Today, they announced the cancellation of All My Children and One Life To Live.

To say I am devastated is an understatement.






Go ahead. Make fun. Think I'm crazy.

I'm seriously sad about this.

See, I literally grew up watching AMC (and sometimes OLTL). When I was a tiny girl, I'd wake up from my naps and my mom would be watching AMC. I'd curl up on the couch and watch with her, while I lazily woke up.

Once I was old enough to go to school, my mom opened up a daycare. Soaps became our weekend tradition. While I helped her do laundry, we'd watch the tape of the week's shows. On a VCR. When the tape got too old and used, we'd pick up new tapes and save the old ones for a rainy day.

In middle school a wondrous thing happened............ Disney World announced ABC Super Soap Weekend. My mom and I went EVERY single year (including the last year in 2008, which I blogged about here and here). It became something we planned for, strategized for, and thoroughly enjoyed. When Brian Frons (btw, I do NOT like this man..... I think he's a horrible head of a TV network) announced the demise, I actually wrote him a letter of protest.

In high school, I added General Hospital (which is still safe, so far) to my routine. Every afternoon, I'd rush home from cheerleading practice to watch my shows. When an ABC Newsbreak interrupted, I'd become furious.... no matter what the news.

In college, I started taking it to the road. I'd go to different fan events around the country. Some of my most cherished friends.......... friends that were there for me during some really hard times..... are my "soap friends." Also, because of my school schedule, I was able to watch more often. I remember one Christmas my mom and I decided to make most of our presents. We spent weeks putting together these homemade gifts and watched our soaps while we did it.

Now that I have a job, I am one of the culprits, really. I don't watch like I used to and only watch a handful of episodes a month. Just too busy.

But, I always came back. There are some weekends where my mom, step-sister, and I will just veg and catch up on our shows. Like a good friend who is always there when you need them, soaps were just there.

Not to mention..... one of my biggest dreams has always been to work on a soap opera. I've always had the utmost respect for the people that produce those shows and want to be a part of it.

I'm just sad about it.

You can bet that I'll be watching between now and the end.
 

3 comments:

Sonya said...

This makes me sad too! I don't watch very much anymore, but I started watching when I was like a year old! My aunt watched us and lunch was at 11:30 and the "stories" were on at noon! I'm going to watch this summer while I'm home. I'm hoping to see a lot of old favorites return for the last episodes!

LWLH said...

I used to watch AMC with my mom and nan when I was little...this seriously saddens me as well.

I wish they would bring back all the old characters like Maria and Edmond and Dixie one last time.

Brittany Ann said...

Sorry, love! I know what a loss this is for you!