Friday, May 24, 2013

Worst Traits (BEDIM 24)

 
 
 
 Day 24, Friday: 
Your top 3 worst traits
 
 1) Procrastination/Being Late

It's true. I'm always late. If it is super, duper important, I'll be on time. And, I am getting better about giving myself plenty of time to get somewhere, but being late is a horrible habit/characteristic of mine.
 
 
 
2) Holding On
 
I hold on to everything: physically, emotionally, and mentally. I have a really hard time letting go. Sometimes, that can be a good thing. Like, when my boss needs an email from a year ago and I can produce it in about three seconds flat. Or, when I can recount a really funny memory that my friends have forgotten, making us all laugh at old times.
 
Most of the time, though, it's draining. I hold on to little things that are said to me (good or bad). I hold on to hopes and dreams that I've had. Basically, I make everything WAY more important than they need to be. It can crowd my space, my mind, and my heart to the point that I don't have the room I need for new and fresh to come in.
 
 
 
 3) Passive Aggression
 
 Oh, I can be passive aggressive. Like, WAY passive aggressive.
 
Don't get me wrong, it has its place. Sometimes, it is the perfect response for a situation. For instance.... I have a coworker who is also PA and is great at manipulating our boss into allowing him to skip rank. He will ask me to get him tickets to something and then - when he doesn't think I'm doing it to his liking - he will ask our boss to help him once I've already started working on it. My new PA move is to tell my boss that I'd already told the coworker that I was working on it, but that I'd let him (boss) take over. Then, when said boss doesn't get anywhere and the coworker comes to me about the request, I tell him, "Oh, Boss mentioned that he was working on it, so I left it in his capable hands so that we weren't doubling efforts."
 
Most of the time, though, it's just a way to get what you want without getting your hands dirty (or blood pressure raised). It's a way to get your point across without actually saying what is on your mind or causing an outright confrontation.
 
It's a game. A fun game, but not necessarily a fair game.
 
Some people would say that passive aggression is better than the alternative. While that may be true, it's not always the best way to handle things. Sometimes, it's a great way to neutralize a potentially volatile situation.... and other times, it's just manipulative.   

No comments: